Should “Transgender Women” Be Allowed to Compete in Women’s Sports?
Like many high school athletes, Chelsea Mitchell invested years of hard work and dedication in training to be a track star. But no amount of training could prepare her for a decision made in her home state of Connecticut — she would now have to compete against biological males.
- How do biological men competing in female sports affect women in those sports?
Transgender MMA Fighter Who Fractured a Woman’s Skull, Named ‘Bravest Athlete in History’
MMA fighter Fallon Fox twice broke an opponent’s skull to win matches and now some in the LGBTQ community are praising the athlete.
- Does it pose a physical risk for women to compete in contact sports with men?
Why are U.S. states banning transgender women from sport?
This 2021 Reuters piece outlines the debate surrounding transgender sports bans now making their way through many state legislatures.
- Do you think state legislatures or athletic associations should set policies about transgender athletes’ participation in sports?
Human Rights Campaign Statement on Iowa Betraying Its History as a Leader on Equality for LGBTQ+ People
The Human Rights Campaign, the largest LGBTQ advocacy and lobbying group in the United States, issued this press release about the new Iowa law, criticizing it as hateful and discriminatory.
- Do you agree with the HRC that this bill is discriminatory?
Trans Girls Belong on Girls’ Sports Teams
Scientific American argues that Republicans use transgender girl sports bans to whip up their base about an issue that is not all that prevalent, all at the expense of transgender youth in their states. They debunk common arguments for these policies, both historically and scientifically.
- Should politicians consider the potential mental health impact on LGBTQ youth when weighing these bans? Why or why not?
How Sports Have Been Used to Attack Trans People
Dave Zirin, a sportswriter for The Nation, discusses transgender issues, specifically regarding sports, with Chris Mosier, the first openly transgender athlete for Team USA.
- Do Mosier’s answers give you insight into how transgender individuals view these state bans?